In the outskirts of Downtown Tamps, tucked away in warehouse/office park is Tampa Beer Works. Inside the tiny tap room are a few tables, a decent sized bar, and college football playing on TV. It was quiet, relaxed, and inviting, everything I like in a brewery. After listening to the bartender’s recommendations (Hey Mike!) I start with the strongest IPA and work my way down, because that’s just how I was rolling that day.
SOGO (8.8% ABV)
Well balanced Imperial IPA. Grassy, hoppy, lemony finish, very bold. Mike gave me the name of most of the hops, but thanks to autocorrect what I typed in Notes no longer make sense. Regardless of what hops are this is a really good beer.
#anotherIPA (7.5% ABV)
Dirty/earthy, but in a good way. A hoppy finish that lingers after each sip. Another good IPA! So far we’re 2 for 2.
#anotherIPA Blackberry Lemon (6% ABV)
This beer is crazy! I had no idea blackberry and lemon paired together so well in a beer. It wasn’t overly sweet, the fruit wasn’t lost behind the hops, it was the perfect balance. I don’t know how they did it, but I’m glad they did. Hands down, one of the best beers I’ve drank this year!
Honorable Mention: Pineapple IPA (6.5% ABV). Mike was nice enough to give my bodyguards (Hey Bear and Matt!) samples. Also really good, but I was too hung up on the blackberry lemon IPA to take more than one sip.
From the delicious beers at Tampa Beer Works, we head over to the highly recommended Stein and Vine for dinner and more beer (duh)!
Bowigens Beer Company Shut Up, Linda (ABV 7.7%) Good stuff!
Back at the home I wrapped up the night with Unita Brewing Company Ready Set Gose (ABV 4%). I jammed out old school favorites and apparently fell asleep listening to Mia X. No pic, sorry.
Tampa Beer Works exceeded my expectations. The beer the bomb, the vibe was chill, and the bartender Mike awesome. Next time I’ll be more adventurous I try styles other than IPA.
High Fives and Shout Outs
- After Hurricane Irma I returned to FL with everything still in tact (check) and with power. #blessed
- Quality andouille sausage. Spend the extra $3 on the fancy stuff. You deserve it!
- While I’m on the subject of food… The fish and chips at Stein and Vein. They obviously hired a magician to deep fry to the fish. The amazingness of the fish was just unfair.
- Neo Yokio on Netflix! As someone who’s anime knowledge doesn’t go higher than Dragon Ball Z I thought it was a decent little show. Complete Honesty Moment: I only watched because I’m a big fan of Desus on Mero. Their glow up makes me happy.
Thumbs Downs and WTF
- The pressures of Fantasy Football. I was so stressed out I had to walk away from the table and take deep breaths. Oh, not to mention I only watch the NFL when I’m forced to watch it and the Super Bowl (first half only), so if the player didn’t graduate from Bama, have interesting ESPN or Real Sports with Bryant Gumble segment, or have a household name, I don’t know who the hell they are. To make a long story short I’m getting my ass whopped every week.
- Still on the subject of Fantasy Football, don’t try to trade with me! I don’t care if I had Jason Witten on the bench for the first two weeks… I’M NOT GIVING HIM UP! I may not be good at this, but I’m smart enough to know you’re trying to plan a come up. The answer is always NO!